What does dazzling sunlight, blistering heat & dehydrating high temperature demand for? Certainly, a refreshing and thirst quenching drink; something that helps you replenish your fluids during summer and yet makes you fall in love with its delightful taste!
-by Mehvish Waqar
- Cucumber Mint Lemonade
Cut one medium sized peeled cucumber into smaller chunks and blend this with 1 cup of water.
- Place a fine-mesh strainer over a jug and pour the cucumber juice through it. Discard the pulp.
- In the jug, add lemon juice (approx. 4 lemons), sugar (or honey), mint leaves and 3 cups cold water.
- Give it a good stir and let it sit in the fridge to chill. Serve over ice.
Starting off with the basics, this is a classic summer drink which never seems to get old. It offers a great taste in addition to an abundance of nutrients, hence making itself an all-time favorite. Cucumbers are a good source of vitamin K, anti-oxidants and potassium. Lemon offers a boost of vitamin C, citric acid, B-complex vitamins and potassium.
Mix 1 cup of water and 1 cup of sugar in a sauce pan over medium heat until the sugar has melted and a syrup is formed.
- Squeeze 1 lemon and 7-8 oranges.
- Combine syrup, orange juice, about 4 cups of water and 1-2 cups of ice in a closed lid pitcher.
- Chill for at least an hour. Serve over ice.
This drink gives an interesting twist to the original lemonade by adding a hint of orange-y flavor to it. This combination is extremely refreshing. An ideal beverage for a hot summer afternoon.
3.Watermelon Cooler Slushy
Blend 4 cups of cubed seedless watermelon with ice in a blender.
- Pour in 1/3rd cup fresh lime juice, sugar and a pinch of salt.Blend until smooth.
What can be better than a bright red chilled drink on a warm summer day? This watermelon slushy is packed with a bundle of essential nutrients including vitamin A, B6 and C. Not only that, but it also offers a significant amount of anti-oxidants and amino acids. This is an ultimate thirst-quencher and highly invigorating.
4. Cappuccino Cooler
Combine coffee, chocolate ice cream and chocolate syrup in a blender.
- Blend until smooth and pour over crushed ice.
- Garnish with a dollop of whipped cream.
This can be described as a great “Pick-me-up” drink. Enriched with a chocolaty flavor, a hint of coffee and a creamy smooth texture of ice cream, this possesses all the attributes of being one of your favorite summer beverages this season!
5. Cilantro Celery Juice
In a blender add about ½ oz. of fresh ginger, 4 ounces (1 bunch) cilantro, 8 oz. Granny Smith apple (halved, cored and cut into wedges) and 12 oz. of celery.
- Add two tsp of freshly squeezed lemon juice. Blend until smooth.
- Add ice & serve right away.
This bright green punch offers a herb-y taste from cilantro, a tangy taste from lemon, a sweet tinge from apple and adds a mild spice from ginger. The combination is absolutely amazing. Enriched with a lot of essential nutrients including vitamin A, C, E, K,Folate, & dietary fiber etc. This beverage is vegan & gluten-free.
Try these at home & have a scrumptious summer!