Pantone recently announced Ultra-Violet, as the 2018 Color of the Year. Serving as the hue of some of our favorite superfoods, Dr. Christopher Calapai, D.O., a New York City Osteopathic Physician board certified, has compiled a list of the impressive benefits these cosmic colored foods have to offer and why you should incorporate them into your diet.
· Blackberries are loaded with vitamin C, as well as vitamins A, E, K, and B vitamins, antioxidants lutein and zeaxanthin, which sift free radicals and reactive oxygen species.
· Blueberries are a top superfood of the fruit world, containing iron, phosphorous, calcium, magnesium, manganese, zinc, and vitamin K, which help and maintain bone health.
· Red cabbage contains disease-fighting properties known as polyphenols, which offer antioxidant, anti-inflammatory and anti-cancer benefits. It also is a great source of dietary fiber and a rich source of several vitamins.
· Lavender Oil created from the lavender herb, has been proven to assist with getting rid of bloating and calming itching.
· Plums are rich in fiber and help to ease digestion, as well as great source of vitamin
· Açaí Berries are loaded with antioxidants, as well as being rich in fiber, protein, carbohydrates, vitamins A, B, C and E, mineral salts (calcium, iron, phosphorus and potassium) amongst others.
· Figs are rich in natural health benefiting phytonutrients, antioxidants and vitamins. Dried figs are a great concentrated source of minerals and vitamins.